28-30 STRACHAN ST
General Practice 52362000
Community Nurses 52364000
General enquiries 52364009
Birregurra Community Health Centre is a service of Colac Area Health (CAH) offering care at home and support for people to stay healthy in the community. The Birregurra Community Health Advisory Committee made up of Birregurra and district residents and CAH personnel, is a Committee of the CAH Board and provides support and guidance to BCHC staff and advice on community needs to the Board. BCHC also receives generous financial and practical support from its Auxiliary
- General Practitioners
- General nursing including immunizations, health screenings and referral to other services, plus blood pressure monitoring, ECGs, venepuncture and wound care
- Well Women's clinic offering Pap tests and health advice to women of all ages
- Exercise groups and classes – see list below
- Lunch on Fridays
- Smoking cessation clinic
- Community shopping bus, weekly to Colac
- Community gym
- Childcare, in venue long-day child care
- Community development and coordination, working with other local community organisations
- Diabetes resource nurse
- Maternal and child health nurse (Colac Otway Shire)
- Other services as required
Private health practitioners are invited to hire our consulting rooms, subject to conditions.
BCHC has 2 meeting rooms and a commercial kitchen for individuals and community groups to hire as available. There is a small fee.
Did you know that if you belong to a group you will live up to 7 years longer! A scientific fact!
Belonging to a group promotes mental well-being and life satisfaction. It’s also a good way to meet new friends and get to know your community.
These are the group activities on offered at Birregurra Community Health Centre. They may change as community needs and interests change.
Groups meet at various times each week for quilting, patchwork, knitting and crochet, embroidery and cross stitch. Members share their skills in a wide range of crafts and can also show you how to use a sewing machine.
Membership is open to everyone subject to an assessment by a qualified fitness instructor; fees are low and members are welcome to use the gym as often as they want.
Exercise and Fitness
- Exercise groups for men and women, both gentle and more energetic
- Tai chi
- Walking for all levels of fitness and vigour
- Community lunches every Friday
- Social outings
We are always open to ideas and suggestions for new things to do.
Do you have some time to spare and an interest in the people in your community? Volunteering at the Community Health Centre is a wonderful opportunity to get to know more about Birregurra and its residents.
8.30 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday
5236 2000 for General Practice (Dr Jared Kilday, Dr Ray Sarkis and Dr Jenny Mackenzie)
5236 4000 for Community Health Nurse
5236 4009 for general enquiries